I am an autistic autism professional and PhD student researching false accusations of fabricated and induced illness amongst parents of autistic children. A change of personal circumstances including a late diagnosis of autism brought my successful career as a banking consultant to an end in exchange for a more fulfilling life as an autism educator, advocate and researcher.
I have contributed to journals, newspapers, websites, the radio and a book about autistic parenthood. I enjoy training those that support autistic people which ultimately leads to a positive impact on the autistic population. Most recently I have trained NHS staff, employees of private companies and university students who will support autistic people in their future careers.
Daily engagement with the autistic community has led to a broad understanding on what life is like for autistic people. As a confident presenter and teacher, I am able to impart my knowledge to various audiences at all levels.
I am a self-employed autistic educator and advocate Jan 2016 – Present
Knowledge of autism
- Have taught and supported university autism students in both Education and Social Care departments.
- Am a regular attendee at autism conferences and local events
- Avid reader of both autism related academic papers and online writing which ensures a well rounded knowledge of autism and the related issues faced by autistic people
- Currently researching the large number of false accusations of fabricated and induced illness (FII; formerly known as Munchausen’s by proxy).
- Completed primary research about autistic parents home educating their autistic children
- Completed primary research on autistic parenthood – there is very little research on this topic
- Part of a research group researching support for autistic people in education and autistic wellbeing
Public speaker and trainer
- Video editing is a recently acquired skill as the covid-19 pandemic has moved much of my training work online. I am keen to learn it for my PhD
- Have trained staff in the NHS, various private companies, and schools
- Topics include a general overview of autism, autistic parenthood, challenging behaviour, autism and gender, false accusations of fabricated and induced illness.
- Audiences have ranged from small groups to large conferences
- Have experience of academic presentations and talks to parents, professionals and autistic people
- Lectures about autism to social care undergraduate students
Supporting autistic people
- Currently training to be a mentor and am supporting an autistic man to find employment
- Have supported and advocated for many autistic people and their families including attending appointments, organising support and liaising with schools and other services
- Have supported women at a local charity with a view to carrying out sensory assessments and potentially identifying who of them are autistic
Analytical consultant | Aspect Analytics Ltd Dec 2007 – Dec 2015
Created a consultancy providing analytical services mainly to the banking sector. My expertise was in credit risk and a programming language called SAS. Clients included Lloyds bank, Tesco Bank and RAC
Senior Credit Risk Analyst | HSBC Nov 2005 – Dec 2007
Worked as an analyst creating statistical models and automated monthly reports
Senior Marketing Analyst | GE Capital Sep 2004 – Nov 2005
- Managed a team of three for whom I set objectives, conducted appraisals, and provided day to day support
Analytical Consultant | Information Resources 2002 – 2004
European Training & Operations manager | Information Resources 2000 – 2002
Analyst/Senior Analyst | Information Resources 1998 – 2000
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
Speakers training day National Autistic Society 2017
Various online autism courses National Autistic Society 2016 – 2018
Various SAS courses Amadeus 2006
CIM Advanced Certificate in Marketing Bracknell & Wokingham College 1999-2000
Masterclass Train the Trainer Bracknell 2000
MA Autism (distinction)| Sheffield Hallam University
BSc Psychology (2.ii) | The University of Birmingham
Three A Levels (Maths, French and German) and 10 GCSEs